Saturday, June 7, 2014

Sickie



I have been a sickie this week. 

I tried to fight it, drinking copious amounts of tea and going to bed early, but this virus took hold and consumed my weekend thus far. It's been worsening since Monday, and hit its peak Thursday afternoon. I went home early and stayed home Friday, spending most of my day sleeping.

Viral URTI, combined with viral-induced asthma, and a moderate flare of my UC makes for a sad, sad Red.



I had my diffuser/humidifier running most of the day. I added eucalyptus essential oil, which I find helps to clear my sinuses and head cold. The lavender essential oil helps me to sleep. Sometimes I will take a plastic baggie with a few drops of eucalyptus in my purse when I'm not feeling well, and I will inhale the scent when my sinuses seem particularly congested. Always seems to do the trick - and no decongestants needed!




I've also been consistent in taking my Vitamin C, which I seem to routinely forget, in hopes it would assist in shortening the duration of my cold. Although research on this is controversial, I was willing to give this a fair go. Plus... I'd been feeling to unwell to eat my fruits and veggies.



My usually beloved smoothies and green juices did not seem appetizing, so I consumed lots of mashed potatoes and caribou broth. My UC was giving me trouble, so I wanted to keep my meals low-residue and easily digestible. 

I also drank several cups of strong green tea daily, as the tannins are beneficial in preventing absorption of pathogens in the gut. I am caffeine sensitive, however, so I was careful to only consume it in the morning and ensure it was good quality green tea.
I also had some caffeine-free echinacea tea in between bouts of green tea.



Consuming fluids is crucial, so I drank (what felt like) gallons of water flavored with lemon, or mint and cucumber. It was the only way I would keep it down, as I was getting sick of drinking plain water.



I also made myself a spicy, sinus-busting steeped tea when I was feeling quite congested and yucky. It's quick and does the trick ... as long as you don't mind your tea with a little kick!


Spicy Sickie Tea



  • 1/2 tsp grated ginger
  • Lemon wedge
  • Pinch cayenne (or more if you're feeling adventurous!) 

Very simple: Boil water. Add ingredients to steeping pot/cup/ball. Add boiling water. Let steep 5-6 minutes.

Steeping!


... and enjoy!





Now, please excuse me so I can return to my productive sick person duty of sitting on the cough and watching my new favorite show.




No comments:

Post a Comment